The Problem with Dryer Sheets and ToxicFree® Laundry Solutions
Dryer sheets are not as helpful as your think! Get great tips on how to make your laundry routine ToxicFree®!
How many times have you done laundry this week? How much laundry soap, fabric softener, and dryer sheets did you toss in with each load? Laundry is a necessary chore that unfortunately can add to the toxins you encounter every day!
Did you know that the highest levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in your home are in the laundry room? Fabric softener and dryer sheets are the number one cause of indoor pollution in most homes. The chemicals can also leave residue on your clothing which then, after contact with your skin are into your bloodstream within 26 seconds. Heavily scented laundry products can aggravate allergies and lung problems as well as lead to skin sensitivities from over exposure to the harmful chemicals. Even those marketed for newborns or as gentle and safe are filled with toxic chemicals!
How do you switch to a ToxicFree® laundry routine?
Detox your washing machine
- Add 1 cup of vinegar to your liquid laundry slot or directly to the drum. Add in 5 drops Chaé Organics Lemon Essential Oil and 5 drops Chaé Organics Tea Tree Essential Oil. Run a HOT water cycle – Quick wash if available.
- After the first cycle, add ½ cup baking soda to the drum and run another HOT water cycle. This will clear any residual soap and chemicals leaving you with a clean drum.
- Got grime or mold? Spray down the mold with Cleanz Everything (Citrus Burst or Scent Free!) and use clean water and a sponge to scrub it out. Treat the areas with Sanitiz. Simply spray and let dry completely!
As vinegar can slowly degrade your inner seals and mechanisms, this is a process that should only be done if needed. Do not use vinegar with every wash!
Use Chaé Organics Sudz Laundry Liquid Concentrate!
Chaé Organics Sudz Laundry Liquid Concentrate uses a gentle formula, is ToxicFree® and there are no chlorines, phosphates, optical brighteners or whiteners, or chemical fragrances! It is a coconut derived formula that is safe for even the most delicate fabrics. It is HE (high efficiency) compatible and concentrated so a little goes a long way! 1 tsp for a small load= 96 uses. 2tsp for a large load= 48 uses
If you prefer a scented laundry liquid you can add Ready Scent Go Lavender or Citrus Burst! These scent boosters are created using only naturally-derived fragrances for a healthy scent blend that is safe for the whole family. This tiny bottle packs a punch of scent. Our masterfully-crafted fragrances are completely free of toxins or harsh chemicals, and add a light, refreshing touch to your cleaning products.
Stay away from dryer sheets
Line dry your clothing or use organic wool dryer balls in the dryer! Line drying your clothing means that you cut down your electrical costs! Wool dryer balls cut down the drying time and you can scent them as you like with essential oils.
- To give your laundry a sunny fresh scent add a few drops of Chaé Organics Lemon or Lemongrass Essential Oil.
- For a relaxing, calming scent use Chaé Organics Lavender Essential Oil.
- For a clean herbal scent use Chaé Organics Tea Tree Essential Oil! Bonus – Tea Tree is disinfecting!
Refresh your towels
Are your towels not as absorbent as they used to be? Over time, detergent and the chemical residue off dryer sheets can build up on your towels. This can not only attract mildew but also “waterproof” your towels! If water can’t penetrate the fabric during the wash cycle, the towel will not get properly cleaned and will hold the mildew and toxins that smell. A very simple solution to rescue your towels is to run them through a 3 step process very similar to detoxing your machine. This process strips the stubborn chemicals from your towels and leaves them fresh and clean again!
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into the liquid detergent compartment and run a hot water cycle.
- After this cycle is complete, sprinkle ½ a cup of Baking soda over the towels and run another hot water cycle.
- Dry the towels thoroughly in the dryer or on the clothesline and you are done!
Do you have a ToxicFree® Laundry Solution you'd like to share? Let us know in the comments!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
No comment at this time!